I must be on vacation. Jane and I stayed up late last night watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" while I stamped. I got up this morning and did some more therapy.
I am still working on producing cards for Susie Nelson's WICKED Challenges over at splitcoaststampers.com: the Demo Side. This was actually Challenge "A", and I loved it so much I had to make three!
Here are my productions:
For this card, I wanted to use one of my favorite stamp sets: Bugs & Kisses. Even though the images (and especially the sentiments) are on the cute side, I think that using them with these rich colors really helps them "grow up".
1) Card base is Rich Razzleberry (standard size); Top Note die-cut is Old Olive, and I ran it through the BS a second time to add the swiss dot embossing with the SU! Texturz Plates. Spritz the card stock lightly with water first to get a deeper impression. Basic Black square is 3 1/8".
2) To make the quilt, I first stamped the ladybug and ant images on Naturals Ivory card stock, then cut several 1" squares. I picked the ones I liked best, and adhered them to the Basic Black mat with 2-Way Glue. I cut two 1" squares of Rich Razzleberry, and then used my paper cutter to slice them in half diagonally. To do this, I simply place the square with points on the blade trough, lower the guide with the blade in the center of the square and cut in both directions. That keeps the corners from getting crunched up. I added an Old Olive button with some Linen Thread for a homey look.
3) You know how much I like the Rock and Roll Technique, and I used a variation of it here. I scraped the dragonfly image over my Old Olive pad, trying to get ink mostly on the center of the image. Then I did the same with the Rich Razzleberry pad, but aiming for the edges of the image. I like the result! I used my Paper Snips to cut this guy out, and adhered him to the corner of my card with a Stampin' Dimensional.
The quilt I made representing SU!'s Subtles Color Family was really simple to put together. I created my own background paper by stamping images from the Simply Said stamp set using Rose Red, Pink Pirouette and Pretty in Pink inks. I think the rest is pretty straightforward. Hope you like it!
This is actually the first of these three Quilt Cards that I made.
1) Standard size card base is Elegant Eggplant; More Mustard panel is just slightly smaller (4 1/8" x 5 3/8"); Very Vanilla image panel began life as a 3" x 4" rectangle.
2) To create my quilt squares, I stamped Upsy Daisy (love this stamp set!) using More Mustard (twice) and Elegant Eggplant (centered). If I did it again, I would "stamp off" the Eggplant image, so that it would look a bit more purple. It looks almost black, unless you get it in a very good light.
3) Assembling my card was fun! I knew I wouldn't be able to get all the squares lined up perfectly, so I built some wiggle room into my design: distressing the edges! I ran my fingernail over the edges of all the squares before adhering them with either 2-Way Glue or a Stampin' Dimensional. I also crumpled and distressed the edges of the More Mustard mat. For the sentiment panel, I not only distressed the edges, but I also sponged some Elegant Eggplant ink to help it stand out from the background.
Thanks for checking out my cards. I encourage you to try this fun technique either with stamped images like I've done here, or using designer paper. That's the easy way to go, of course. SU! has a lot of great selections of DSP in the just-released 2010-2011 Idea Book & Catalog.
You can check out all the new products, including Color Renovation "New Color Kits" online at www.stampinup.com. Order online, but remember to select me as your Demonstrator to get "preferred pricing."
Please don't hesitate to contact me with any and all of your paper crafting questions. I'm here to help! Thanks for your continued support; my customers are the BEST!