Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Blue Christmas


As promised, I'm posting a sample of the second set of Christmas cards I've finished. This card has fewer parts than the red card (see below), but I did incorporate a special technique for stamping the snowflake image from the Best Wishes & More stamp set.

The card base is Stampin' Up!'s Bordering Blue, and the 4" x 4" panel is Naturals Ivory. The Naturals Ivory is a good choice when using bold images, and especially with the Rock and Roll technique. It is more absorbent than SU!'s Whisper White or Very Vanilla, and is a bit heavier weight.

To use the Rock and Roll technique with the Ballet Blue and Silver inks, I had to wipe the BB off of the edges of the snowflake stamp before inking it up on the Encore Silver pad. (Normally, to use Rock and Roll, you simply ink on the lighter color first, then on the darker color, without wiping any ink off.) While this step added some time to the process, I really like the effect of the silver-tipped snowflakes!

Rock and Roll is one of my favorite techniques to use, because it adds a whole new look to familiar images. I love to play around with different ink combinations, whether different shades of the same color or two contrasting colors. I featured Rock and Roll at my Technique Stamp Club last year. I think it was a hit there, too.

The sentiment is inked with Night of Navy and is from the Grateful Greetings stamp set, which is in the current Holiday Mini Catalog. Night of Navy is a great choice for the greeting on a monochromatic blue card: it is softer than Basic Black, but still dark enough to really stand out.

Hope you like the cards, and can find some inspiration for your own projects here. Please let me know if you have questions or comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment