Saturday, January 2, 2010

Emerging Colors

I got an order for some custom-made cards today, and got right to work. (The first one card has to be mailed in a few days in order to arrive on time to the birthday girl!). Making cards for certain people I have in mind is a very rewarding part of my "job" as a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator.

For this card, I wanted to use the Emerging Colors technique. I've used it once or twice before, but it is always a challenge: finding the right images, colors that coordinate but don't overpower, getting the placement right. I hope you'll agree that I worked it out all right for this card.



Here's the drill:

1. Stamp bold-image stamps in 2 different color ink. For this card I used the cherry image with Rose Red Classic Ink and the candle image with Regal Rose Classic Ink. Both stamps are from SU!'s "On a Pedestal" stamp set.

2. Stamp over the top of your images with VersaMark ink, and emboss with clear embossing powder. I used SU!'s really fabulous "Medallion" stamp. This stamp is very versatile; looks great in so many different situations.

3. Finally, use a brayer to add ink over the top. On this card I used Pretty in Pink Classic Ink.

An optional 4th step adds one more layer of stamping over the top. By doing this, you can cover up some of the images in the first layer. I decided to skip this step tonight.

To finish my card, I matted the image panel on Going Gray, and then tied some luscious 1" Double Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon (Regal Rose) around the whole card front.

Because this card is for a very special person, I decided to add a bit of Wow! to the inside, too!



1. On a piece of Naturals Ivory (4" x 5 1/4"), I stamped the Medallion again with Pretty in Pink. I deliberately used minimal ink and light pressure to create a watermark effect.

2. The components from the "On a Pedestal" stamp set are stamped in Regal Rose and Rose Red on Natruals Ivory, and then cut out and popped up with Stampin' Dimensionals.

Hope you like this card! I encourage you to give the Emerging Colors Technique a try. It is a bit challenging, but when you get it right, the result is very satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. Great card and I love your accordion card too. And thanks for CASEing me - it's an honor!
    I really liked the card you used for my club reminder also; the layering of the image is a great idea, I may have to case you on that one.

    ReplyDelete