Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Happy for Butterflies, Happy for You

Here is my personal favorite card that I made for the recent Virtual Stamp Night (VSN) at splitcoaststampers.com.


This challenge was to use a spring element somewhere on the card; I used a coiled wire as the body of the large butterfly.

A lot of the cards I made for this VSN were much simpler than this, and in general I've gotten away from a lot of fancy layers in much of my card making. Sometimes it just feels good to really lay it on, though! This design has six layers (including the butterflies), dry embossing, lots of sponging and both the wire embellishment and some half-back pearls. Both the butterflies and the dry embossing are courtesy of Stampin' Up!'s fabulous Big Shot die cut machine. I (well, actually DD#2) cut Marina Mist card stock with the Butterflies die, and then I used the ever-popular Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder and sponging (Marina Mist ink) to add texture to both butterflies and mat.

The Always Artichoke swirl is from Baroque Motifs, and the sentiment ("I am glad there is you") is from a set of rub-ons that I've had for years. I really like the bright, crisp look of the rub-on on top of the Always Artichoke card stock.

I sent this card home with my sister at the end of her almost 6-week stay while Mom recovered from surgery. It is for her partner, who graciously made do on her own all that time. I am truly glad that there is her!

I liked this design so much that I reprised it in more Spring-like colors and with gold sponging as an Easter card. It also was a featured project at our March Stamp Club meeting.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah! Long time no talk...I hope all is well with you! Lovely card in very elegant rich colors! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete