Friday, April 1, 2011

Bargello

I just had to try out the Bargello Technique featured this week on Splitcoaststampers. I always have a lot of very nice designer series papers, just waiting for me to find a good use for them! This is an excellent technique for me!

For this card, I used the retired Stampin' Up! dsp, Le Jardin. The colors in these papers are So Saffron, Always Artichoke and Bashful Blue. To start the technique, you cut several strips of the different patterns. Each strip is 3/4" wide and about 5 1/2" long. Line them up on a piece of plain card stock (I used Whisper White) and adhere (I used the 2-Way Glue Pen).



Next, cut strips of varying widths, across the grain of the original strips.


Offset the strips, so that the different patterns don't quite line up. Play around with the patterns until you find the look that is right for your project. At this point, you can either adhere the strips to another piece of card stock, or--like I did here--use Sticky Strip to hold them together.



After trimming the piece, I peeled off the red backing on the Sticky Strip and mounted the design on another piece of dsp. You could mount directly onto your card base, or onto a different mat, too. Another idea is to use a die to cut your Bargello piece in a particular shape. (I want to try this with the both the Top Note and with Butterflies Dies.)



As they say on SCS, finish your card! I stamped the flower image from Embrace Life in So Saffron with the bamboo leaves in Artichoke, rounded the corners and sponged with Artichoke and Bashful Blue inks. The Whisper White Satin Ribbon makes a nice square knot, and is balanced by a corner embellishment of 5 halfback pearls.



I hope you'll give this one a try. It will certainly be a featured technique for my Stamp Club to work on in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment